“ Explore the Universe of knowledge and bring together the knowledge commons for social development”
The Library Govt First Grade College Dharwad was established on 24th of June 2006, in a small room in the old campus of Vidya Bhavan, Near SBI Main Branch. It is in an infant stage now, it is placed in an independent building located beside ‘New Bus stand, Kumareshwar Nagar. It has a collection of 7,778 books at present. The present building accommodates libraians chamber, Magazine stands as a reading room with 50 student capacity. The library is aptly named as “Knowledge Centre”.
RESOURCES:(AS ON 31.03.2011)
In order to create smooth and easy access to library collection, According to Subject and Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) scheme has been used for systematic organization of the resources. A good collection of CD-ROMs in various subjects is also available for access. Library has subscribed to many journals and Magazines for the up to date information to cater to user’s need. For their research, teaching and learning process. Knowledge centre also aims at subscribing Electronic journals through UGC-INFONET Digital Library Consortium and also NList. One of the special features of this library is to attract more and more readers in providing actual required information from every nook and corner.
- Books Collection: 7778
- RBI Reports: 17
- Geographical Maps: 31
- Books Received as Donations: 220.
- Magazines: 17.
- News papers : 6 (Kannada & English)
LIBRARY RULES :
The Library is primarily meant for bonafide students and faculty members of the college. The outsiders from other university/ institution may be allowed only with the written prior permission of the Librarian and a Principal for a limited period. They shall, however, have to consult the documents within the premises of the library.
- Readers and visitors are requested not to bring their belongings in the library.
- Users are requested to return the books/documents after reference.
- No document issued brought to the library unless for returning.
- Photocopying of resources shall be allowed for the documents available in Library.
- Users are responsible for complying with copyright act while photocopying library documents.
- Improper use of library facilities by a member will lead to the suspension/termination of his/ her membership.
- Silence and strict discipline should be maintained in the library by all users.
- Every one shall ensure that no reader should feel disturbed in their study by any act of his/her.
- Smoking and use of mobile phones are strictly prohibited inside library premises.
- Use of eatables in the Library is strictly prohibited. Utmost care shall be taken by all to keep the library clean.
- The library rules and regulations shall be modified from time to time and shall be binding on all concerned.
Monday to Friday 10.00 am To 4.30 pm
Saturday: 10.00 am To 2.30 pm
Issue/Return of books: 11:00 am. To 04:00 p.m.
Closed on : Sundays and all Govt. Holidays.
Library committee has been formed in our college for the smooth and easy function of the library as well as to strengthen the collection, services, and procurement of journals, Books and other resources, and also for the proper utilization grants and monitor the development of the Library System, The committee consists of All Department HOD’s and All Class CR’s of All Courses are the Members, The Librarian is the Convener, and the Principal will be the President of this committee.
GFGC Knowledge Centre Dharwad has established a Library Forum to strengthen the library services and collection in making reading habits among the students for the career. Under this forum events like Dr. S R Ranganthan Birth Celebration (Librarians Day), Books Exhibition, Book Talks, Information Literacy Programmes for the fresher’s as well as the readers will be organized.
- Edusat (Education Satalite)
- Previous Year Question Papers.
- Books Bank Facility for SC/ST Students
- Lending of Books
- Periodical, Reports Photocopy Services
- Syllabus of Various Courses
- Reference Service
- Internet service
- Directory Service.
- Audio Visual Service for Special Programmes
- Career Guidance for Employment to the students.
- Exam, Jobs, Interview & Scholarships Watch.
- Departmental Compendiums
- Current Awareness Service
- Selective Dissemination of Information
LIBRARIAN PROFILE :
Manjunath G L is a present Librarian at Govt. First Grade College, Knowledge Centre, Dharwad. Since 2008. He has Masters Degree in Library and Information Science with Distinction from Karnataka University, Dharwad and also Post Graduation in English from the KSOU Manasagangotri, Mysore. M.Phil (LIS) from Alagappa University, Karaikudi, Tamil Nadu and qualified UGC/NET in Library & Information, and presently doing a Doctoral Research in Library & Information Science, from Karnataka University, Dharwad, Karnataka. He is the recipient of Team Excellence award from Honeywell Technology Solutions Bangalore for outstanding performance, in making grand success of the Knowledge Centre. His area of specialization includes Websites, Digital Library Applications, Web Authoring, Network Based Information Services, Library Automation, E-Resources Library Administration etc. He has attended and presented a papers in the International, National & State Level seminars, and participated in many workshops. He also visited Shimla (Himachal Pradesh), Shillong, (Meghalaya), Madurai (Tamil Nadu), Andhra Pradesh, Mumbai, Bangalore as part of academic activities. He is a dynamic Librarian, always very active in making Library and its services to the needy users. He also very concern about his valuable readers of the institute. He is practicing the best practices for the development of the library through many services for the career of the students.
SOME USEFUL QUICK LINKS :
1) Historical Background of Dharwad –
2) Places of Interest In the District of Dharwad
3) Karnataka State Govt. Departments Websites :
4) Portal of India
5) Single window Complete information about india
6) Free E- Books on the internet
The main motto of GFGC Library is having better collection and services for Students and Faculties. The users can suggest the required best books and other resources for the Library in strengthening the good collection; the books may be procured once the grant released by the department.
- Digital Library project.
- Complete automation of Library & Office administration.
- RFID Technology for Library.
- GFGC Library should be model to the national level among govt institutions.
- Hi-tech library services
- Conducting of Conferences/Seminars.
- Conducting Book exhibitions, book talks, and Best Readers Awards to motivate the reading habits among the students and faculty.
- Celebration of National Festivals by conducting a books talks inviting dignitaries to impart the knowledge to student’s community.
- Introducing the facilities like “Learning with Entertainment” concept.
Shri. MANJUNATH G L
M.A (Eng)., M.L.I.Sc., M.Phil., (Ph.D)
Mail me: [email protected]
QUOTES BY FAMOUS PERSONALITIES :
- “What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of a human being, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful and to remove the wrongs of injured…” -Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam
- “If you pick the right people and give them the opportunity to spread their wings and put compensation as a carrier behind it—you almost don’t have to manage them – Jack Welch
- “Make your top managers rich and they will make you rich.”
-Robert H. Johnson
- “Thinking is progress. Non-thinking is stagnation of the individual, organization and the country. Thinking leads to action. Knowledge without action is useless and irrelevant. Knowledge with action, converts adversity into prosperity.” Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam
- “Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”
- “Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don’t interfere as long as the policy you’ve decided upon is being carried out.”
- “When you speak, speak the truth; perform when you promise; discharge your trust… Withhold your hands from striking, and from taking that which is unlawful and bad…” -Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam
- “Management is efficiency in climbing the ladder of success; leadership determines whether the ladder is leaning against the right wall.”
-Stephen R. Covey
- “Thinking should become your capital asset, no matter whatever ups and downs you come across in your life.” -Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam
- Good books are the best friends today and forever.
- Good books are the lifeblood of human spirit.
- On action alone be thy interest, never on its fruits; let not the fruits of action be thy motive, nor be thy attachment to inaction- Bhagavadgeetha
- The first and the best victory is to conquer self- Plato
- No man is good enough to govern another man without that other’s consent – Abraham Lincoln
- The future depends on what we do today – M K Gandhi
- The talent of success is nothing more than doing what you can do- H W Longfellow.
- Honest disagreement is often a good sign of progress. M K Gandhi
- Our greatest glory is not in never falling but is rising every time we fall. –Confucius
- To climb steep hills requires a slow place at first- Shakespeare.
- Try not to become a man of success but a man of value- Albert Einstein
- We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence therefore, is not an act but a habit- Aristotle
- Nothing will be ever attempted if all possible objections must be overcome- Samuel Johnson